apwb_dumbledore: (Feeling my age)
[personal profile] apwb_dumbledore posting in [community profile] slipping_away
04 December 1996, early afternoon.



There was a knock at Minerva's office door. She was just about to say, "Come in," when the door opened briskly and Albus stepped in, looking grim. Minerva sat up, giving him her full attention.

"There's been an attack at St Mungo's. I need you to bring Pomona and Filius to my office. I'll be there shortly with Mr Warrington." Albus turned and left without waiting for a response, and descended the tower's staircase quickly. He immediately headed toward the east wing and barely caught a flight of stairs before it moved away. He went to the fifth floor, where Bathsheda's and Chris's offices were located. He knocked on Chris's door and waited.

The knock at his door startled Chris. He didn't remember that ever having happened before. "Come in," he said, liking the sound of it. Albus opened the door, and Chris reflexively stood. "Professor Dumbledore! Come in!"

Albus did. "Thank you, Chris. May I sit?"

"Yes, sir. Of course." Chris sat back down in his chair and watched Dumbledore perch on the spindly wooden chair across from his desk. "What's going on?"

"You should know that the Death Eaters have attacked St Mungo's. There has been massive damage and many casualties, and as of now, it's unknown exactly how many survivors there are." Albus paused, watching Chris carefully. "We don't know about your mother yet."

Chris processed this information for a few moments and realized he'd stopped breathing. He took a deep breath and looked back at Professor Dumbledore, unsure what to say.

"And now, Chris, I regret that I must give you a duty. Severus is away and there are Slytherin students who have family at St Mungo's, just as you do, who need to be informed. I feel they would be much more comfortable with a Slytherin present. Will you come with me?"

Chris took another breath, straightened his spine, and nodded. "Yes, sir."

Albus stood without a word and went to the door, and Chris followed suit. Together they climbed two more flights of stairs and crossed over to the south wing. As they were approaching a great stone gargoyle, Dumbledore called out, "Barley sugars." The gargoyle leapt to the side and the wall behind it parted, allowing Chris and Albus to go up the spiraling stone staircase to the Headmaster's office.

Minerva, Filius, and Pomona were already in the office, and stopped their hushed conversation as Albus crossed the room to his desk. Chris stood near the entrance, feeling very distinctly like the whole episode may have been a dream.

Albus leaned against his desk, where a red quill was writing feverishly on a piece of parchment. Albus looked at it briefly before turning to the professors and Chris. "As you know, the Death Eaters have executed an attack on St Mungo's. It was quick and brutal, by the time anybody was quite sure what was going on, it was over."

Pomona raised her hands to her mouth in shock, and her thoughts immediately went to the children. "Oh."

Filius's eyes grew round. "Oh no!"

Minerva's nostrils flared. "The casualties?"

"Many. At the moment, there are precious few details, but our duty to our students is clear.

"There are a number of students with parents and family members in employ at the hospital, who need to know what's happening. I have a list of those students for each of you to inform." The quill had stopped scribbling while Albus was talking, and at that point he collected the paper it had been writing on, and three others beneath it. He handed one piece of parchment each to Pomona, Minerva, Filius and Chris.

"If you don't mind me asking, Albus--" Pomona stared down at her piece of parchment. "--it's not that I'm not fond of Chris here, but where is Severus? His Slytherins will need his guidance."

Albus nodded. "Severus is unavailable at the moment, so Chris and I will be sharing this responsibility."

"I see." Pomona frowned. "Shouldn't we notify him of what's occurred?"

"I have sent word already, and he will be with us as soon as he's able, but the students deserve to be informed of the situation as quickly as possible. Right now, Chris and I will have to do."

"My mother was at St Mungo's, too," Chris said, "so it might be better coming from me, anyway."

"Oh no." Pomona set a hand on his shoulder and squeezed briefly. "I'll hope for the best."

"As will we all," said Albus. "Do any of you have any more questions before we go?"

Filius shook his head. "No, but do keep us informed as much as you can. And let us know when Severus returns?"

The professors all exchanged a glance that Chris was unsure how to interpret. It made him uneasy.

"Of course, Filius. I will." Albus stood. "And now we have a job to do. Pip pip!"

Professor Sprout gave Albus a half-hearted smile in acknowledgement and went in search of the students on her list, and Minerva and Filius followed.

Albus walked toward the door, leading Chris gently by the shoulder. "Who's first?"

"Corvus Callahan," Chris said, "third year." They left the office and went down the spiraling stairs to deliver the news.
Page generated Sep. 22nd, 2026 12:20 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios